Monday, September 21, 2015

First things first ---Who am I?


Hello, the name is Donna--

I was born in The Netherlands, but living in the U.S. since I was three years old.
Working towards an undergraduate degree in: Youth Development/ Nonprofit Studies
& INGOS Studies Certificate. (International Nongovernmental Organizations)

You should know, I'm madly in love with words.  Like these.........................

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. We are all meant to shine, as children do. And as we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”  
--Marianne Williamson

WHAT are my interests and passions in what I study?
Absolute poverty, failed states, developing countries, MNC, IMF & World Bank's exploitation of the global south, environmental racism, INGOS, systems theories, human rights violations, children's rights, youth empowerment, pubic health, feminism, women in leadership roles, women in office, right to education, sustainable agriculture, urban agriculture, environmental policy & conservation, inequality, racism, classism, sexism, LGBT issues, white privilege, male privilege, crisis in Africa, international politics, global power dynamics, long-term socioeconomic planning, sustainable solutions, the UN as a tool to facilitate global-scale policy change, international agenda-setting, ideational power in politics, lobbying, advocacy, community organizing, constructivism theory, social entrepreneurship, utilizing visual arts to advocate for social issues.


WHAT other kinds of things do I like?
Well, I feel more at home in the ocean than I do in my own house, actually I'm pretty sure that I'm half-fish, or maybe my grandmother's ancestors are jellyfish or something. All I know is, the moment I come up for air, to catch my breath, and leave the water, it feels so wrong. I'd say on average, I'm in the ocean four hours a week minimum. Dancing makes me nearly as happy as swimming and surfing do. Spring through fall, I work on a local farm through a CSA (community shared agriculture) program. Other than that, you can find me somewhere-- hiking, running, kayaking, snorkeling, traveling, dancing, more dancing, collecting rocks (I have approximately a zillion). Did I mentioned dancing yet? What else? Oh, I bought a polypro hula hoop last year, which has now turned into a love affair of mastering tricks, spinning in circles...... and of course it's just another good excuse to dance. (I'm talking countless dance-related injuries). 

I am by nature, a passionately curious person, I will never stop seeking, questioning, learning.


 Grand Canyon bliss, before a 25 hour drive to New Orleans
My younger sister, what an extraordinary person to admire

 

The Redwood Forest
(one of the most humbling moments of my life)

In a hooping trance

  

  
I have a truly bizarre relationship with dragonflies. (Above; are four different instances)
But there have been so many more undocumented encounters. Sometimes they don't leave my side for 30-40 minutes, just following me wherever I go, it's completely nuts. . .

  


Dusk and Dawn, my favorite times of day


Rebelution tour w/ Ray,
one of my most favorite human beings, EVER!
Hiking in Greenwater, WA


Epic garlic harvest with the farm crew
Tent living for weeks in the forests of Big Sur, CA




Climbing up the Aztec Pyramids
(don't let the smile fool you-- I'm petrified)
Butterfly friends and human friends unite!


The Oregon coast, without a doubt my favorite state in the U.S.




Can climbing trees be my day job?
Skydiving 2011, an adrenaline junkie's version of heaven



Hiking Rodman's Hollow with Kellie
Absorbing that full moon magic



Julia, my sister from another life I'm sure of it
Traveling down the coast of Baja, MX, on foot!



1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous you got to go skydiving Donna, it's definitely something on my bucket list. I am also an adrenaline junkie. The most daring thing I've done is jump off a cliff about 2 stories high into the white water in New Hampshire, I was forced to learn how to swim that day. lol

    ReplyDelete